Bergvik Skog’s nine sustainability goals for economy, environment and social values extend throughout 2017. Our sustainability goals are related to Sweden’s national environmental goals and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals that extend until 2020 and 2030 respectively.
The UN Development Goals 2030
In 2015, the UN identified 17 sustainable development goals that aim at reducing poverty and climate impact as well as promoting economic, ecological and social sustainability in the world. Bergvik Skog has chosen two of these goals that are directly relevant to the company’s core business, two goals that our stakeholders also consider to be important questions for Bergvik Skog to work with from a sustainability perspective:
- Take urgent action to combact climate change and its impacts
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestial ecosystems, sustainbly manage forests, combact desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
Sweden’s National Environmental Goalgs 2020
The Swedish Parliament adopted 15 environmental goals in 1999, a 16th environmental objective was adopted in 2005. Bergvik Skog has chosen four goals that directly relate to our core business and its environmental impact:
- Limited climate impact
- Living forests
- Teeming wetlands
- A rich plant and wildlife
Read more about Sweden’s environmental goals at the environmental objectives portal. You can read more about how we work with climate issues in the sections on bioeconomy and sustainability. You can read more about our nature conservation work and you can see the map of all our protected areas.
Our Sustainability Goals
Bergvik Skog adopted in 2013, nine sustainability goals divided into three different areas of responsibility economics, environment and social. The targets extend until 2017 and reflect the issues that our stakeholders, according to stakeholder dialogue, consider it most important for us to focus on. During 2017, new targets will be adopted for the next target period 2018-2022.
- We will maintain good profitability for the company
- We will contribute to research and development
- We will identify and plan for managing our risks
- We will reduce our carbon footprint
- Our protected areas will have ensured high conservation values
- We will diminish our negative impact on waters and nearby ecosystems.
- We will ensure the management of ancient and cultural objects
- We will visualize social values in our forests
- We work for a good working environment and employees with high competence